In a major virtual summit with over 1,000 high-level attendees, Africa.com revealed the names of the 50 most senior women in Corporate Africa. The Africa.com Definitive List of Women CEOs is distinguished in that it is data-driven. The researchers started by working with data provided by Bloomberg and evaluating the over 1,400 companies listed on the 24 African stock exchanges.
The list yielded many more women from South Africa than any other African country, followed by Nigeria and Kenya. The finance sector had more women CEOs than any other sector, followed closely by technology. Africa.com Managing Director Laura Joseph said, “FIve companies had more than one woman on the list: Bidvest, Microsoft, Old Mutual, Sonatel, and Sanlam.”
The methodology includes three sections: 1) CEOs of African exchange listed companies with a market cap over $150 million USD; 2) division heads of African exchange listed companies, where the division itself would be valued at over $150 million, were it standalone; and 3) Africa region heads, or country heads, of globally listed companies with a market cap of over $50 billion.
Africa.com Chair and Executive Editor Teresa Clarke said, “The list has started a movement to give African women something larger to aspire to running a large, complex business – not just SMEs as is often the focus of women in business.”
1. Natascha Viljoen, CEO, Anglo American Platinum South Africa, Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Market Cap $37.6 billion USD
2. Mpumi Madisa, CEO / Executive Director, Bidvest Group, South Africa, Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Market Cap $3.6 billion USD
3. Lizé Lambrechts, CEO / Executive Director, Santam, South Africa, Johannesburg Stock Exchange $1.9 billion USD
4. Miriam Olusanya, Managing Director, Guaranty Trust Bank Ltd, Nigeria, Nigeria Stock Exchange, Market Cap $1.4 billion USD
5. Jane Karuku, Group Managing Director and CEO, East African Breweries Ltd, Kenya, Nairobi Stock Exchange, Market Cap $1.2 billion USD
6. Helena Conradie, CEO, Satrix 40, South Africa, Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Market Cap $650 million USD
7. Leila Fourie, CEO, JSE, South Africa, Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Market Cap $640 million USD,8. Ruth Zaipuna, CEO, NMB Bank, Tanzania, Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange, Market Cap $505 million USD9. Nathalie Alquier, CEO, Centrale Danone, Morocco, Casablanca Stock Exchange, Market Cap $500 million USD10. Catherine Lesetedi, Group Chief Executive Officer, Botswana Insurance Holdings, Botswana, Botswana Stock Exchange, Market Cap $445 million USD11. Mansa Nettey, Chief Executive, Standard Chartered Bank, Ghana, Ghana Stock Exchange, Market Cap $425 million USD12. Anne […]