– Most airlines across the world have grounded their operations following the coronavirus pandemic
– In Kenya, KQ halted international flights and section of domestic flights to curb the spread of the infectious disease
– Most passenger planes are now lying idle in hangars while only a few cargo planes are allowed to fly in and out to revamp supply of essential goods
– However, parking of planes in airports is not like parking a car in a garage; a lot is involved before they can be let to lay idle
– Airlines like Kenya Airways (KQ) are now using some of their passenger planes to supplement work of cargo flights
The aviation industry is in no doubt one of the sectors that has been put on it knees by the unforgiving coronavirus pandemic which has caused a global economic freeze.
For the first time in at least four decades, airports have been turned into parking lots for aircraft after almost every country closed their borders to foreign flights and others like Kenya limited local travel .
READ ALSO: God above all: Christians kneel on streets to seek spiritual intervention in fight against COVID-19
Kenya Airways has for the first time in 40 years paused its operations. Photo: Kenya Airways.
READ ASLO: Coronavirus: Didier Drogba offers his hospital to be used as pandemic treatment centre in Ivory Coast
The activities witnessed in airports like Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Kenya, Dubai International Airport (UAE), Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands) and Denver International Airport (Colorado, US) have been halted.Only a few flights land and take off, most of them being cargo planes delivering essential goods to populations that have been forced into lockdowns, curfews and work from home.READ ALSO: 3 Kenyan firms develop app that alerts you when near COVID-19 patient Kenya Airways is using some of its passenger planes to supplement work of cargo planes. Photo: Kenya Airways. Source: UGC READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Gavana Mutua ataka Uhuru amkabili Rais wa Uchina Even as most cabin crews remain off duty, it doesn’t mean every other staff in the aviation sector has nothing to do.Before these huge pieces of sophisticated technology are allowed to lay idle in hangars, airlines go through gruelling tasks just to ensure they are properly stored awaiting for normalcy to reign again. 1. Engines and exhausts sealed off Since most passenger planes are […]